I am a digital artist specialized in photomontage techniques. All my compositions are based in photographs that undergo a complex process of transformation, assemblage and detailing, bringing them closer to a pictorial expression.
Marcela Bolivar‘s photo illustrations have a light touch — the figures and surrounding flowers, plants and fabrics appear to billow in the wind, as if they might be blown away at any moment. Sticking to a mostly pale color palette, Bolivar gives her characters an elegant essence. We see them morphing and changing their shape to blend in with elements of nature, as if they behold mystical powers we can’t quite comprehend.
Clients include: Random House US, Harlequin UK, PS Publishing UK, Centipede Press, Envato Ltd, Editorial Planeta, Revista Bacánika, Wacom Americas, Gabo Kiadó, Undertow Publications, Editions du Chat Noir, L’Atelier Mosésu, Editions Plume Blanche, Gulf Stream Éditeur, Word Horde.
Bands / Musicians: Amethystium, Swan Valley Heights, Christian Engquist, Diminished 7, Fabulae Dramatis, My sweet Torment, Painlink, Hunted, Sidesteps, Malsain, Stardown, Transience, Darkflight.
Press / books: ART OF Magazine, Infected By Art Vol. 5, 6, Apex Magazine, Beautiful.Bizarre, PsikeArt Magazine, Beautiful Decay, Advanced Photoshop UK, Advanced Photoshop Germany, Exposé 5,9,10,11, Curvy 8, 9, Practical Photoshop Magazine, Bluecanvas Magazine, The Printed Blog, Photo Technique Magazine, Camera Obscura Journal, SYNK Magazine, Dark Realms Magazine.
Awards / Recognition
- Nomination. Chesley Award 2018. Best Cover Illustration: Hardcover. Association of Science Fiction and Fantasy Artists (ASFA). US.
- Nomination. Chesley Award 2017. Best Monochrome Work: Unpublished. Association of Science Fiction and Fantasy Artists (ASFA). US.
- Bronze Award. Digital Category. Infected By Art Book – Volume 6. 2018
- Juror’s Award. (First Place). PhotoPlace Gallery Juried Exhibition: Imagined Realities. Middlebury (Vermont), US. 2016.
- First Place. School’s Forum. Marea Digital 2013. Diseño en Palermo. Universidad de Palermo. Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Special Mention of the Official Jury. Marea Digital 2013. Diseño en Palermo. Universidad de Palermo. Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Cum Laude. Bachelor’s project: Mercurio, Azufre y Ceniza. Instituto Departamental de Bellas Artes. Cali, Colombia.
- First Place. Photo Technique Magazine Juried Exhibition: The Photographic Experience. Mesilla (New Mexico), US.
- Winner, Outstanding Amateur Photography Award. Camera Obscura: Journal of Literature & Photography. US.
- Excellence Award. Categorie Horror/Surreal. EXPOSÉ 5 Finest digital art in the known Universe. Ballistic Publishing. Australia.